5 Ways to Keep Data Secure
One of the most famous tech companies was hacked not too long ago, leaving people asking, “if a tech company cannot stay safe, how can we?”
SolarWinds is a company that develops software for businesses to help manage their networks and IT infrastructure. They’re very popular and are used even in government departments around the world.
Recently, attackers compromised SolarWinds’ Network Monitoring Software and used it to push out malware as a software update, which gave them unrestricted access to all companies who installed that update.
Chances are, individuals are not running software like this on their home networks. However, what happened to SolarWinds should still serve a valuable lesson and encourage people to secure their personal data. Here are the most effective ways to lock down one’s network and personal information:
- Enable multi-factor authentication on email and other perimeter accounts
- Purchase software, like Malwarebytes (premium) to scan computers and web browsing activity
- Implement a password policy whereby individuals change their password every 6 months
- Change all default credentials for network devices on the home network
- Perform routine backups of data in the event of disaster recovery
- Run emails through a website like haveibeenpwned.com to check for compromised accounts on the dark web
Following those 5 tips will help people secure what’s important to them and aid in mitigating the risk of today’s growing cyber attacks.
LI Tech Advisors is a Long Island, New York-based Managed IT service company. When you partner with LI Tech Advisors as your next IT services company, you’ll have a partner who has over 30 years of experience working with organizations across Long Island.